About Me

My photo
SCRIPTWRITER. TV. FILM. THEATRE. RADIO, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Hi there! Welcome my Scriptwriting blog. When I'm not here I write Scripts, Sketches, Stories and Lyrics. All enquiries welcome.

Wednesday 21 May 2008

(79) Guess Who?

Guess Who's taking over as Showrunner on Dr Who?



Go on guess Who, as Russel T. Davies says farewell...and takes his special brand of genius to other projects


So long Russ, Thanks for bringing the magic back.

"BBC Wales and BBC Drama has announced that Bafta and Hugo Award winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Russell T Davies as Lead Writer and Executive Producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who, which will broadcast on BBC One in 2010."



Moffat has written some of the best Who episodes, including fan favorite "Blink" and my personal all time fave episode "The Girl in the Fireplace"

"My entire career has been a secret plan to get this job," said Moffatt. "I applied before but I got knocked back because the BBC wanted someone else.
Also I was seven.
"Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light, and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. I say 'toughest' because Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing."

The brilliant outgoing lead writer and executive producer Russell T Davies adds: "I can't wait to see where his extraordinary imagination takes the Doctor. Best of all, I get to be a viewer again, watching on a Saturday night."

Moffat's career began in 1989 with the landmark ITV children's drama "Press Gang", for which he won his first Bafta. "Coupling", the hugely popular and award winning sitcom that he created and wrote followed in 2000 and ran for four seasons.
"Jekyll" a six part comic thriller transmitted on BBC One last year.

As well as "Dr Who", the super talented Mr Moffat is a director on the board of Hartswood Films, (which produced Coupling and Jekyll), is working on new comedy "Adam & Eve" (with wife Sue Vertue) and has just delivered the screenplay for "Tintin" to Steven Spielberg, the first multi-million £ instalment of a planned trilogy.

For more info on Steven http://www.stevenmoffat.net/ is a site dedicated to the great man.

The future's bright - The Tardis is in safe hands!

No comments: